History of Oldhamstocks
This page is dedicated to sharing memories and pictures of Oldhamstocks from as far back as we can find. Please do send us any pictures or pieces of information you have for us to share!
Oldhamstocks SWI Hazel Barker cutting the cake to celebrate our 80th birthday
Click on this picture below to access close ups of the various pictures.
The picture below must be from the 1920-30's judging by the model of car and the fact that there is a public telephone!
The picture below shows the school, schoolhouse and "Greenend". Records of the school date back to 1872 and end with the school closing in 1970. Since then it has been a craft workshop, an organ factory and is now a private dwelling.
Small, single chamber watch house, set in S boundary wall. Droved ashlar with raised base course and eaves course. Doorway at the E end. Pedimented gables to E and W, with weathered plaque in E pediment. Pointed arch window to N at centre with intersecting glazing pattern. Ashlar coped skews and grey slates; stack by W gable. Simple chimneypiece inside at W end.
This watercolour below shows a bustling fair which took place at the Mercat (or Market) Cross, both the commercial heart of the village and symbol of its right to trade. Carse's picture dated 1796 is an important record of a Scottish country fair, as these were becoming increasingly rare. The late eighteenth century saw the disappearance of many rural customs and was a time of great social change in Scotland. Fairs and markets had traditionally been an integral part of the rural economy, fulfilling multiple functions as food, clothing and livestock markets, and as a hiring ground for farm servants. Carse takes great delight in depicting all the local characters, and shows that fairs were also a great opportunity for social gatherings.
• • •